Here is the Study Material for Democratic Politics in Chapter 8 : Challenges to Democracy
I - VERY SHORT ANSWER TYPE QUESTIONS
01. Name any two challenges to the working of democracy in India?
Ans. Social and Economic inequality and casteism are the two challenges being faced by Indian Democracy.
02. What is the challenge of expansion?
Ans. The challenge of expansion, which is present in an established democracy, means applying th principle of democracy across all the regions, different social groups and institutions in the country.
03. Define the term 'Democratic Reform'.
Ans. Any proposal or suggestion about overcoming various challenges of democracy are called democratic reforms.
04. What types of challenges are being faced by democracy?
Ans. Three types of challenges i.e., Foundational challenge, challenge of expansion and deepening of democracy.
05. Give examples of challenge of expansion to democracy.
Ans. To give more powers to local governments and expansion of federal principle to all the units of the federation.
06. How can democratic reforms be carried out?
Ans. Democratic reforms can be carried out by
(b) by good quality of people's participation
(c) Development of democratic movement and the media.
07. What are the legal ways of reforming politics?
Ans. It means changes in the existing laws which can help to discourage wrong practices and encourage good ones or to bring amendments in the constitution.
08. What is the most common form of democracy in today's world?
Ans. Indirect or representative democracy
09. What do you understand by regionalism?
Ans. When the people, living in a particular, region, awaken to their separate existence, due to social, economic or geographical causes, the leaning towards their region, is called regionalism.
10. Mention any two measures to remove poverty in India.
Ans. The ever-increasing population of India should be effectively checked and steps should be taken to increase agricultural production in the country.
II - SHORT AND LONG ANSWER TYPE QUESTIONS
01. What do you understand by 'Challenges to Democracy'?
02. Name the four challenges being faced by the Indian democracy.
03. Describe the main challenges to democracy?
04. Describe casteism as the challenge to Indian democracy.
05. Describe the major challenges to democracy in India.
06. Describe how illiteracy is a challenge to Democracy? Give suggestions to remove illiteracy.
07. How is the poverty a challenge to democracy? Suggest measures to remove poverty.
08. Describe the influence of socio-economic inequality on Democracy.
09. Describe how regionalism is a challenge to democracy? Give suggestions to check Regionalism in India.
III MULTIPLE CHOICE QUESTIONS
01. Following is the challenge to democracy:
(a) Corrupt leaders
(b) Illiterate citizens
(d) All of these
02. The challenge of making the transition to democracy from a non-democratic govt. is known as
(a) foundational challenge
(b) challenge of Expansion
(c) deepening of democracy
(d) none of these
03. The following step/steps can be taken for the removal of poverty in India:
(a) To check the ever-growing population
(b) Development of industries
(c) To increase the agricultural production
(d) All of these
04. Strengthening of the institutions and practices of democracy implies the following challenge to democracy:
(a) Challenge of expansion
(b) Challenge of deepening
(c) Structural challenge
(d) Foundational challenge
05. Which of the following countries disintegrated due to the ethnic tension b/w Serbs and Albanians:
06. Studies on political and social inequalities in democracy shoe that:
(a) inequalities exist in democracies
(b) development under democracy is not much different from that of dictatorships
(c) democracy and development go together
(d) dictatorship is better than democracy
01. (d) All of these
02. (a) foundational challenge
03. (d) All of these
04. (b) Challenge of deepening
05. (c) Yugoslavia
06. (a) inequalities exist in democracies