Here is the Study Material for Democratic Politics in Chapter 7 - Outcomes of Democracy
I VERY SHORT ANSWER TYPE QUESTIONS
01. Give any two characteristics of Democracy?
Ans. Elected representatives and Rule of Law.
02. What do you understand by "Dictatorship"?
Ans. Dictatorship means a form of govt. in which an individual or a party acquires power by overthrowing the legitimate govt. and then rule the country according to its will.
03. Why is democracy called the better form of govt. than dictatorship? Give two reasons
Ans. In democracy govt. is responsible to the people and it cannot become autocratic. Bad govt. can be changed peacefully, through elections.
04. Mention any two features that are common and different to most of the democracies in the world?
Ans. Common features are elections at regular intervals, constitutions and existence of political parties while different features are their social and economic conditions.
05. Why decisions are delayed in Democracy?
Ans. Decisions are delayed in democracy because decisions are taken after debate and deliberation.
06. Which form of govt. is prevalent in Pakistan and Bangladesh at present?
07. Name any two countries which have the most stable democracies.
Ans. USA and Switzerland.
08. Which govt. is superior to any other form of govt. in promoting dignity and freedom of the individual?
09. Name any one country which is suffering from great economic inequality.
II SHORT AND LONG ANSWER TYPE QUESTIONS
01. What do you mean by democracy?
02. What are the different aspects of Democracy?
03. What are the Characteristics of Democracy?
04. Describe the Merits of Democracy.
05. Describe the demerits of Democracy.
06. What do you mean by "Dictatorship"?
07. Describe any five features of dictatorship.
08. How is democracy different from dictatorship?
09. Evaluate the working of Democracy in India.
10. What are the factors sustaining democracy in India?
III MULTIPLE CHOICE QUESTIONS
01. Which form of govt. is found in most of the countries of the world?
(c) Absolute monarchy
(d) Rule of the army
02. A democratic govt. is responsible to
(b) Prime Minister
(c) Chief Justice of India
(d) The people
03. In the context of assessing democracy, which among the following is odd one out. Democracies need to ensure
(a) a fair and free election
(b) dignity of the individual
(c) majority rule
(d) equal treatment before law
04. In the context of democracies, which of the following ideas is correct - democracies have successfully eliminated.
(a) Conflicts among people
(b) Economic inequalities among people
(c) Differences of opinion about how marginalised sections are to be treated
(d) The idea of political inequality
05. Following is the feature of dictatorship:
(a) Rule of one individual or party
(b) No faith in religion
(c) Faith in force and war
(d) All of these
06. Following is the best form of govt. for promoting dignity and freedom of the individual
(c) Army Rule
(d) None of these
01. (b) Democracy
02. (d) The people
03. (b) dignity of the individual
04. (d) The idea of political inequality
05. (d) All of these
06. (d) None of these