Here is the Study Material for Geography in Chapter 6 - Manufacturing Industries
I VERY SHORT ANSWER TYPE QUESTIONS
01. What is manufacturing?
Ans. Production of goods in large quantities after processing from raw materials to more valuable products is called as manufacturing.
02. Name two major categories of industries?
Ans. The categories are:
(i) Agro-based industries
(ii) Mineral-based industries
03. Categorise the following industries into agro-based and mineral-based industries:
Sugar, Cotton Textile, Iron and Steel , Cement, Food industry
Ans. (i) Agro-based : Sugar, Cotton Textile , Food industry.
(ii) Mineral-based : Iron and Steel, Cement
04. Which factor has influenced Indian economy and standard of living of the people?
Ans. Industrial revolution
05. Why is manufacturing industry significant for us?
Ans. (a) Manufacturing industry judges the economic strength of a country.
(b) It reduces the dependence of people on agriculture for jobs.
(c) Export of manufactured goods earns valuable foreign exchange.
06. Name four main factors of production in modern industry.
Ans. Raw material, Trained/specialised labour, Capital, Sources of power.
07. Classify industries on the basis of raw material and finished products.
Ans. Heavy Industry and Light industry.
08. On the basis of ownership, classify the modern industry.
Ans. (1) Public Sector Industry
(2) Private Sector Industry
(3) Joint Sector Industry
(4) Cooperative Sector Industry
09. Name industries which are owned by the State Govt. or some agency of the Central Government.
Ans. Public Sector Enterprises.
10. What is the industrial growth rate at present in India?
Ans. 7 to 10%
11. Give an example of Private Sector Industry
Ans. Tata Iron and Steel Company, Jamshedpur
12. Name the industry which serve as basis to many industries.
Ans. Basic industry
13. Name two basic industries
Ans. (1) Iron and Steel Industry
(2) Copper Smelting Industry
(3) Aluminium Smelting Industry
14. On the basis of ownership, in which sector can the Bhilai steel plant be put?
Ans. Public Sector.
15. Give an example of the Consumer Industry
Ans. Textile Industry
16. When and where was the first successful Cotton Textile Industry set up in India?
Ans. In Mumbai in 1854
17 In which two states in India has the Cotton Textile Industry developed the most?
Ans. Maharashtra and Gujarat
18. Name the two main centres of Cotton Textile Industry.
Ans. Mumbai and Ahmedabad
19. How many jute factories are there at present in India?
Ans. Over 70 factories.
20. Where the majority of jute mills located in India?
Ans. On the banks of river Hugli.
21. Name the two cities famous for producing woolen clothes.
22. Name the two centres famous for manufacturing silk cloth.
23. Which states of India manufacture woolen clothes
24. Name the two centres in India famous for producing artificial silk.
25. Which states have widespread centres of synthetic textiles?
26. What is the place of India in the production of sugar in the world?
27. Where are the most of the sugar industries located in India?
28. Name the sector in which the maximum number of sugar mills are situated in India.?
29. In which states is Silk Industry mainly located?
30. Mention the centres of Silk Industry of Karnataka.
31. State silk manufacturing centres of West Bengal.
32. Name the two industries based on sugarcane.
33. Name the two industries based on minerals.
34. When and where was the first modern Iron and Steel Industry set up in India?
35. Name the four Iron and Steel Plants of India which have come up with foreign collaborations.
36. Why was cotton textile industry set up in Maharashtra and Gujarat in the early Days?
37. When was the first cement factory set up in India?
38. Which is the major raw material for cement industry? From where is it mainly obtained?
39. Which industries of national importance have been established at Khetri and Sindri?
40. What is Salem famous for? Also name the state in which it is situated.
41. What is Vadodara famous for? Also name the state in which it is situated.
42. Enumerate the factors which contribute to the location of industries at a place or in a region.
43. How was steel marketed in India?
44. What is Sindri famous for? Also name the state in which it is situated.
45. What is Anantnag famous for? Also name the state in which it is situated.
46. What is Kapurthala famous for? Also name the state in which it is situated.
47. When and where were the following industries set up in India?
48. Why is it important for our country to keep the mill sector loomage lower than powerloom and handloom?
II SHORT ANSWER TYPE QUESTIONS
01. How many cotton textile and human made fibre mills are there in India at present? In which sectors are they situated?
02. What are the demerits of small scale industries?
03. Enlist various factors upon which growth of modern industry depends.
04. In what different ways are the industries classified?
05. What are the agro-based industries?
06. What are the mineral-based industries?
07. Name the major centers of Cotton Textile industry.
08. How many jute textile mills are there in India and where are they mostly located?
09. Enlist major centers of silk industry.
10. Why is the Iron and Steel industry called a basic industry?
11. Where are the major Iron and Steel plants located in India? What is the total annual production of Iron and Steel in India?
12. When and where was the first cement factory setup in India? What is their number and Production now?
13. Name the industry which is known as the heavy industry as well as the basic or key industry. Name one such plant or industry which is established in private sector. Write two handicaps faced by this industry.
14. Name four industries situated at the source of raw material.
15. Name one important industry of each of the following places:
Bangalore, Chittaranjan, Haridwar, Mathura.
16. Name the main industry with which Ahmedabad is associated. Which 2 challenges are being faced by Jute industry in India these days?
17. Explain the role of hand-loom, power-loom composite textile mills and spinning mills in Indian Cotton Textile Industry? Write 1 point in each of the above.
18. Name the two main requirements of cement industry.
19. Why are the agro-based industries more important in India?
III LONG ANSWER TYPE QUESTIONS
01. In what different ways are industries classified?
02. Explain two aspects with supporting facts regarding development of Cotton Textile Industry in India. Name the two leading states of Cotton Textile Industry
03. Give reasons for the tendency towards shifting of the sugar industry to South India.
04. Why is the Iron and Steel industry mainly located in the north eastern part of Indian peninsula? Explain any 6 reasons.
05. Why was cotton textile industry concentrated in Maharashtra in Gujarat in the early years? Explain any four causes.
06. Give a brief account of Jute Textile Industry of India.
07. Mention any 2 points of distinction b/w large scale and cottage industries.
08. What are the major problems faced by the Cotton Textile industry? Suggest three ways to solve them.
09. Distingiush b/w Agro-based and Mineral-Based Industry.
10. Distinguish b/w Heavy and Light Industry
IV MULTIPLE CHOICE QUESTIONS
01. Which sector is not the sector of economy?
02. Sale promoting activities belong to which sector of the society?
(d) None of these
03. What is NMCC?
(a) National Manufacturing Computer Corporation
(b) New Medical Competitive Council
(c) National Manufacturing Competitive Council
(d) None of these
04. Finished products of ....................... industries are used as raw material.
(c) key industries
(d) consumer industries
05. Joint sector industry is a type of industry based on
(c) the bulk and weight of raw material and finished goods
(d) their main role
06. Light Industry use
(a) light raw material
(b) material which produce light
(c) light investment
(d) none of these
07. Name the industry, in which India is self-reliant?
(c) Iron and Steel
08. Most of the jute mills are located along the banks of Hugli river because
(a) proximity of the jute producing areas lying mainly in the basin of the Hugli river
(b) inexpensive water transport available
(c) abundance of fresh-water for producing raw jute
(d) all of the above
09. Which is not the country importing Indian Jute products?
10. Mysore industrial centre is related to the production of which fibre of the following?
11. The ideal location of sugar mill is near the sugarcane pruducing areas because:
(a) The govt. policies are favourable
(b) the basic raw material of it is heavy, bulky, perishable and highly weight losing commodity
(c) availability of transport
(d) establishment of industries is less expensive
12. Which of the following is not a sugar producing state?
(a) Uttar Pradesh
(c) Andhra Pradesh
13. Which one the following industries manufactures mobiles amd computer laptops?
(d) Information Technology
01. (d) Fourth
02. (c) Tertiary
03. (c) National Manufacturing Competitive Council
04. (c) key industries
05. (b) ownership
06. (a) light raw material
07. (a) Textile
08. (a) proximity of the jute producing areas lying mainly in the basin of the Hugli river
09. (d) Iran
10. (c) silk
11. (b) the basic raw material of it is heavy, bulky, perishable and highly weight losing commodity
12. (d) Assam
13. (d) Information Technology